"Doggy" Turbos Re: <VV> Turbos and 3.27 gearing

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Jun 24 17:46:21 EDT 2006

Bob,
    If it were MY car, I would definitely go with  "taller" gearing, i.e., at
least 3.27 or even 3.08 (if it can be found).   This would give you lower
revs for improved (better mileage AND less noise)  highway cruising.  But I guess
I'm spoiled with the 3.06 axle ratio in my  Trans Sport that goes to an
OVERALL 2.2 ratio when it shifts into overdrive  gear.  That combination makes 1800
rpm at 60 mph in sharp contrast to the  Corvair's 3000 rpm at 60 mph.
    If you want to help cure the "dogginess" of your  Spyder just install a
vacuum advance unit on the distributor as explained in the  Turbocharging
chapter of the Corvair Basics book.  When I did that years  ago on my 180, I
noticed an immediate improvement in PART throttle acceleration  (off line AND
highway driving) as well as a 20+% improvement in gas mileage  on the everyday trip
back and forth to work.  After all, EVERY  Corvair other than the turbos came
from GM with vacuum advance installed.
    "Try it, you'll like it"
    Frank "only partially advanced" Burkhard

In a message dated 6/17/2006 7:46:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,