<VV> Update

Harris, Charles P LTC NAS Whiting Field, N9 charles.p.harris1 at navy.mil
Mon Jun 26 09:46:45 EDT 2006

New Guy Update,

Spend the better part of the last week removing the last pieces of the suspension on the left rear of the car. One word PAINFUL.

There was more dirt, grime, rusted bolts, I mean a solid junk of a combination of grime, rust, mud, you name it all formed around the head of each bolt. Everytime I moved one step forward, I took 2 steps back.  I feel great however, knowing it is all gone and now I can clean the fender well, the frame I can reach, and clean the diffrential, bottom of engine and trannie all at one time.  I plan on using POR15 for the fender well and the part of the frame I can reach.

I had a friend come over I met through VV and he gave the car a real good look over. All in all, I think my Dad gave me a great car that needs just a little TLC and then Lisa and I can start enjoying her car.  Thats right, my Dad gave the car to my wife, but I get to do all the work.

Question-For some reason, someone put a glob of what appears to be tar or some other thick, black substance on the bottom half of the forward fender well near the bottom of the fender well. A screwdriver won't penetrate the stuff and it needs to come off. The goo is covering a drain from the rocker panel I think. Any suggestions?

While all the suspension is gone, I am replacing the heater duck with a rubber piece in lieu of the cloth type. I am also going to replace the differential seals since I have the drive shaft out. Replacing the U joints as well.

Goals for this week, complete the cleaning of the entire fender well and the frame I want to paint with POR15. Goal for next week, is to replace the rubber heater hose, and the brake lines leading to the torque arm, and replace the left differential seal.

Hopefully, in the next 2 weeks I can start replacing suspension parts.

Thanks a million to all the emails for the question I have asked.

VR/

Pat

LTC Charles P. Harris
Security Officer, NASWF
850-623-7612

 <<Harris, Charles P LCOL NAS Whiting Field.vcf>>