<VV> Making a turbo engine normally aspirated

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Mon Jun 26 10:16:46 EDT 2006

I have a 180HP engine with no turbo and two carbs in my street buggy.  Runs
fine but be aware turbo heads don't have the holes or mounting area for the
choke coils and rods that come up to the choke levers on the carbs.  I use a
Rube Goldberg method:  I plastic wire tied a couple of throttle return
springs to the frame rails.  Close the chokes, attach the springs to the
levers to hold the chokes closed, start the engine while outside the
vehicle.  When it warms up, remove the springs, hop in and go.  Once engine
is warm you don't need the chokes anymore.  If the weather is warm, you
don't need the chokes anyway, just keep pumping the throttle until it runs
right.  Oh yeah, you need to change the distributor to a 110HP or 140HP to
get rid of the "no advance" feature on the turbo distributor and reset the
timing to 13 degrees or wherever it works on the gas you are using.
Clark Hartzel