<VV> LM carbs - TMI

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Mon May 1 19:13:18 EDT 2006

Sometimes this list just gives me "too much information".  I start
the day with a perfectly running car.  I read something, like how bad
mismatched carbs are, so I set out to "fix" it.  Never mind that it
runs perfectly.  So in the end, after much time and dollars spent --
and with a hint of luck -- it runs almost as good as when I
started.  Great fun though :-) !

So ... if it runs fine I'd leave it alone.  I think smog carbs are a
little more accurate but not always leaner.  They may give a little
less power.  And after 100k miles perhaps one side will wear slightly
differently than the other ... or you could "fix it"

At 12:59 PM 5/1/2006, you wrote:

>  I'd say it's pretty bad. You're right, one side will
>run much leaner (the side with the smog carb). The '68
>not only doesn't have the Idle Enrichment etc, but
>it's got an air bleed in the throat to make it run
>even more lean. There will probably also be a
>noticeable hesitation in acceleration. I'd expect it
>to ping like crazy. Been there, done that...
>  I'd change the '68 out for a '65 now.
>
>  Mike
>  YS-117
>
>--- mhicks130 at cox.net wrote:
>
> > How bad is it to run different late model (65-69)
> > carbs on a 2 carb engine?  Say a '68 and a '65.  The
> > '68 supposedly doesn't have the power enrichment so
> > one side could be leaner than the other, right?  How
> > bad is that?  Inquiring minds want to know.
> >
> > And also, how will this affect pinging ;)
> >
> > mike

This email sent by:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off
when I sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots
of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon and our 62 Spyder convertible.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html