<VV>Cluchless<No Corvair>

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed May 3 18:47:28 EDT 2006

At 12:11 hours 05/03/2006, tkalp at cox.net wrote:
>When I had my '70 'Cuda I disconnected the Clutch interlock so I
>could start it in neutral and avoid wear on the thrust bearing. That
>was fine until one day I was tinkering under the hood with the
>ignition on.  A quick bump on the starter, the car fired (in reverse
>with the steering locked) backed out of the open garage door, across
>the street and into the neighbors yard, before I could reach in and
>turn off the ignition . . . lucky thing the driver's window was open.

This happened to me with my '66 Satellite, when I'd reached inside to
start it, sure it was in neutral and it wasn't, it was in 1st...
being in a good state of tune ;) it started up immediately and jerked
its way across the  access way in the parking lot and into the side
of Whitty Sink's '71 Challenger.

The Plymouth didn't get as much as a scratch.   However, I spent an
afternoon a week later demonstrating my "paint & bodywork" skills
fixing Whitty's door.    He just dropped the car off at my place,
left it for the day, said he'd be back to get it that evening,
fixed.    Very friendly-like... ;) When he came back, it was fixed
and ready.   Nothing more was ever said about it.

Last time I ever tried to start anything I own without being in the
car or positive the brake is on and the car is in neutral etc.

tony..