<VV>GM Power Windows (unlikely Corvair)

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu May 4 09:28:56 EDT 2006

>Has anyone had problems with the GM cars power window motors crapping out
>way too soon?

My "new" car is the '92 Transport but can say that at least through then GM
was using some really bad power window motors. The motor itself is not so
bad but GM put some sort of circuit breaker in them that often fails,
usually slowly. For me the first indication is a window that stops going up
but if you let it sit for a minute, will continue.

Not sure that the breaker does any good since I have seen stock motors
burned out in a '93 Sunbird when a heavy purse was set on the switches (why
it is not a good idea for them to be on the console) but they sure fail often.

Good news is that replacement is not difficult though I always toss the #6
screws the kits provide and drill things out for #10s. One note - where the
manuals says to be careful of the regulator spring pay attention.

Padgett