<VV> Self Pity and Whining

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Thu May 4 10:44:35 EDT 2006

Smitty Says:  It is entirely logical that if you put ice on the pump and lines, and then it starts, that it is a vapor lock problem.  Not necessarily so though.   I have had more than one fuel pump that gave all the classic symptoms of vapor lock, and yet turned out to be a weak fuel pump problem due to failing check valve discs in the pump.  They were crumbling and flaking away.  In one case I was traveling cross country.  Every time I stopped for fuel, I would get about a half mile down the road and the engine would stager to a stop.  Application of cold water and ice and it would start right back up.  A replacement of the pump cured the problem which was proven on the bench back at home.  Anything that causes poor fuel delivery can imitate vapor lock to a certain extent.
  YH carbs are especially easy to check for fuel in the bowl.  Just remove the fuel line and unscrew the cover screws.