<VV> Re: Vapor lock, was Self pity and whining

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu May 4 11:44:16 EDT 2006

In a message dated 5/4/2006 5:23:19 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
ncwitte at wittelaw.com writes:

Bob, if  I give it a shot of starter fluid, it will run fine on that as long
as it  lasts.

What do you think of the vapor lock idea?

Norm

Hi Norm,
A possibility, but I doubt it. It's not hot enough yet. But you are
narrowing it down to lack of gas, so a check of gas flow is appropriate.
When it quits, check the flow from the pump as i described before. If no
gas, disconnect, the inlet to the pump and try to blow gas from the tank to the
pump. Use a bicycle tire pump with a cloth wrapped aroung the hose, all into
the  gas filler pipe. Maybe remove the gauge sender and see if there is
anything  plugged there.
Another possibility is a leaky hose in the gas line, either out of the tank
or above the LR tire.

Vapor lock will result in draining all the gas from the carbs. So when it
cools off and you try to start the engine, it will be a LONG cranking time to
get it to start. If that is your situation, then VL is a possibility. The only
known cures are a gas return line to the tank A' LA turbos, or an electric
pump.  Is your gas MTBE or ethanol supplemented? Ethanol can cause VL, MTBE
won't.
Regards,
Bob Helt