<VV> RE: Self pity and whining.............long

mopar at jbcs2.net mopar at jbcs2.net
Thu May 4 15:10:05 EDT 2006

I have driven Corvairs to conventions in Lake Placid, Chicago,
Williamsberg, Carlisle, and DC.......many others have driven waaaaay more
miles in a Corvair. I made it there and back, and have had a few problems
that were addressed along the way. grease on brakes, bad petronix, flipped
belts..........have I been towed home in a vair. Yeah, stupid things
locally. that's what the AAA is for.
All my vair problems have always been relatively minor, and fairly easily
repairable.

You want to talk discouraging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let me tell you about a 66 T-bird I bought last year.......
Within a month developed a miss, turned into a bad clattering.
Bent intake pushrod.
replaced, bent immediately...........
further digging revealed worn through exhaust lifter.
Cam had walked and lifter wore out on cam bearing journal.
Chewed up cam, and cam bearings...........
Now faced with pulling out this boat anchor 390 to get new cam bearings
pressed in.
Not to mention tranny needs a rebuild as well.

Sorry to get off track with a ford story, but tell you what!
I'd rather pull a Vair motor any day of the week than what I'm faced with
here.
But I still have to look at it as a choice I have made to enjoy old cars.
I tinker with these..........that's what I do for recreation.
And I love driving them.............yeah AC and Cruise are nice, but I get
the satisfaction of saving something someone else discarded..........

Gary Swiatowy