<VV> Vapor Lock

Spencer Shepard sshepard3 at earthlink.net
Fri May 5 18:30:34 EDT 2006

I'm not an advocate of electric pumps in general but I appreciate the
necessity of avoiding vapor lock. When I traveled to the Chicago convention
in '87(?) I experienced vapor lock on my Greenbrier after it had a "hot
soak" while my family had lunch. It was about 100 degrees ambient and I
stopped for about 45 minutes after 4 hours at about 70MPH. Of course it
wouldn't start when we finished. I finally got it going by blowing into the
gas tank to pressurized it enough to get gas to the carbs. That kind of hard
to explain to a wife and 2 young kids.

When I got home I solved the problem by putting an electric pump  (square
type) just downstream from the gas tank. I didn't want one in the engine
compartment. I also didn't want one running all the time so I left the
mechanical pump in place and wired the electric one through  a switch I
mounted under the dash. That way I can turn the electric pump on when I need
it and don't have to worry about it being on when I don't need it. I used a
switch with a red light that is on when the switch is on so I know when the
pump is working. I can also hear it because it is so close to my feet..

I often don't drive it for months at a time and the electric pump is also
handy for getting it started when the carbs are dry. I broke the switch and
hadn't used the pump for a long time (at least 5 years) when I had trouble
starting it this spring. I poured gas in the carbs to get it running but the
mechanic pump wouldn't pick up fuel. I was ready to change that pump when I
decided to try the electric pump. I hot wired it and heard the familiar
rattling sound. The engine started up and the mechanical  pump started
working.

I'm sure not all electric pumps will allow the mechanical pump to pull gas
through them and there are probably some mechanical pumps that don't like
the electric pump forcing gas through them. I do know that the setup works
for me.

Spence Shepard