<VV> Vapor Lock

Guus de Haan corvair at corvair.nl
Sat May 6 02:39:17 EDT 2006

Op 6-mei-2006, om 0:30 heeft Spencer Shepard het volgende geschreven:

> I didn't want one in the engine
> compartment. I also didn't want one running all the time so I left the
> mechanical pump in place and wired the electric one through  a
> switch I
> mounted under the dash. That way I can turn the electric pump on
> when I need
> it and don't have to worry about it being on when I don't need it.
> I used a
> switch with a red light that is on when the switch is on so I know
> when the
> pump is working. I can also hear it because it is so close to my
> feet..
>
> I often don't drive it for months at a time and the electric pump
> is also
> handy for getting it started when the carbs are dry. I broke the
> switch and
> hadn't used the pump for a long time (at least 5 years) when I had
> trouble
> starting it this spring. I poured gas in the carbs to get it
> running but the
> mechanic pump wouldn't pick up fuel. I was ready to change that
> pump when I
> decided to try the electric pump. I hot wired it and heard the
> familiar
> rattling sound. The engine started up and the mechanical  pump started
> working.

I'll second Spence (Hi Spence) on this. I also have an electric fuel
pump in the fuel line for occasional use. It's wired to a switch
under the dash. Mine is mounted in the rear wheel well were the steel
line goes over to the rubber line (it's a turbo). It was already on
the car when I got it (for VP reasons I was told) but I never had to
use it for that. I reinstalled it to check if my fuel flooding
problem was due to high fuel pump pressure from the mechanical pump.
That turned out not to be the case but it's a great solution to fill
the carb after the car has been standing in the garage for some time.
Don't want to run it all the time because I prefer to keep it simple
(mechanical) as long as that works. Best of both worlds? ;-)

Guus de Haan
'65 Corsa Turbo-Charged Cvt.