<VV> Gazz

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue May 9 19:57:18 EDT 2006

At 02:59 PM 5/9/2006, you wrote:
>     Let's get back to basics.  In my area, Premium  fuel (93-94 RON) costs
>only 20 cents more than Regular gas (87 RON).

Right there says that something is rong. Traditionally, HiTest  has cost
10% more than regular. When it was 40 cents/gal for reg, premium was 44,
$1.00/$1.10, $2/$2.20. Suddenly there is not so much of a premium for
premium. What's going on ?

Second with the price per barrel rising, at what point will synthetic oil
be less expensive than dino ?

Third, the only real gas saver found by the FEA (predecessor to EPA) was a
gadget called a "PassMaster" that turned off the a/c compressor when the
vacuum dropped under about 10 "hg.

Fourth the best advice today is to keep the tires inflated. On a 100 mile
trip with one of my waterpumpers going up with 25 psi in the fronts I
averaged 24 mpg. Coming back with 35 psi it averaged 27 mpg according to
the onboard computer. Mostly 70 mph I-road.

And for the Corvair content, if you can avoid detonation, regular should
give the same MPG as premium (btu content is the same). After some study it
looks like I have been confused for years. I always thought that the higher
the octane, the slower the combustion. Now doing a google search the top
hits on gasoline "flame speed" and octane, the top hits say that the
combustion speed is independent of octane. Could someone amplify that for
me please because if true there is no reason to retard the timing when
running a lower octane. (my rule of thumb has always been 1 degree per
octane number so to run 87 in an engine designed for 93 you retard six
degrees initially. According to what I see on the web, this is not true)

My problem is that since I cannot hear detonation, I have to err on the
side of caution and run premium but logic says that if you can keep the
heads (particularly around the exhaust manifolds) cool, with under 9:1
compression it should not need premium . The part I do not understand is
why the 1966 95 and the 110 horse/PG seem to have exactly the same timing
and advance specs. The only difference seems to be that the 95 mechanical
advance starts at 1700 rpm and the 110 at 800 rpm but both top out at 20
degrees just later for the 95 (4800 rpm vs 4200 rpm) - slightly stronger
springs on the 95 maybe ? Will a 95 make power at 4800 rpm ?

Another factor in the debate is that back in the day, there were only two
grades on gasoline: regular and premium. Consequently if an engine did not
run properly on "regular" the manual specified "premium". Mid-range did not
exist. If it had I wonder if the owner's manual would have still specified
"premium".

So many questions and a lot of guesses but few answers.

Padgett