<VV> taking it all off...suggestions on paint removal techniques

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Wed May 10 17:41:45 EDT 2006

See comments in your text.

Dave Keillor

-----Original Message-----

Questions:

1) What else do I need to remove before having it bead blasted?
(windows, and the mechanics for the power top I assume, probably all the
wiring, the doors, dash, steringcloumn, master cyl and......?

It depends on what you have blasted and what media you use.  Soda is
pretty easy on stuff and you won't have to remove stuff except for
access to underlying areas.

2) What is the best method/media- Plastic, Soda, Walnut shells?

Soda does a good job of paint removal and is relatively easy to cleanup,
but doesn't remove rust.  You'll have to use sand or slag for areas with
substantial rust (e.g., undercarriage).

3) What can I expect to pay?

If you're going to have it down, talk to some folks in your local area
about costs and their media preferences.  Prices will vary widely.

4) If I want the underside done what has to come off? ( suspension? All
the lines? gas tank??)

The best is to remove all the major components (suspension, gas tank,
engine).  A rotisserie is a major advantage.

5) The car must be primed immediatley after ( i hear and that makes
sense too me), how long can it sit in just primer while I get all the
other stuff fixed assembled?

It depends.  I'm about to do my undercarriage and will immediately treat
it with Eastwood's Metal Wash which passivates the metal (Eastwood's
says for up to three weeks, but my experience is longer).

6) What else should I be asking/thinking about to prepare for this?

Money, lots of it.  You'll find rust where you never expected it and
you'll want to do more than the body.  Suspension parts with new
bushings, new rear wheel bearing assemblies, weather stripping (check
the convertible top rubber prices), etc.

7) Am I nuts?..Ok skip that question

Nope.  I'm doing a rotisserie restoration on a '65 coupe and know where
you're coming from (and how much time and money you'll spend).
are the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org