<VV> update, and another cry for help; engine trouble

Ray Rodriguez reray at echoes.net
Sun May 28 15:42:33 EDT 2006

Hello again guys,

     Alright, got the carb filters changed and they made an improvement in the way the engine runs when its running ok, but didnt fix the problem.  I did track down what I believe to be the cause, I need you guys to give me the solution!

     With the key on and the engine not running I have just under 6 volts coming into the coil.  With the engine idleing there is just over 10 volts at the coil.  As far as I know this is backwards!  There should be extra voltage there for starting and lower voltage for running.  The coil is super hot, I believe overheated and therefore erratic.  This also would explain why replacing the coil fixed the problem for a time, then it started to fail again after about 8 hours of drive time, spread out over a month.

What could be wrong to give me 6 volts at the coil with the engine off, and 10 volts with the engine running?

NOTE: PLEASE E-MAIL ME DIRECTLY WITH REPLIES, I USE DIGEST AND WOULD LIKE THE ANSWERS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE AS I AM FIDDLING WITH THE CAR WHILE YOU ARE READING THIS.  thanks!
Ray Rodriguez

Coldwell Banker Lifestyles Realty
(800)853-8171 ext.27 Toll Free
(570)698-0700 ext.27 Business