<VV> Camshafts

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon May 29 21:04:12 EDT 2006

At 01:54 hours 05/29/2006, J R Read_HML wrote:
>Regardless of which is correct (my opinion not being expressed), why
>does it seem that the general rule of thumb is to avoid using new
>lifters on a used cam whenever possible?

If the originals are still available and not damaged, it's always
best to keep each lifter matched to its own lobe.   Arbitrarily
replacing lifters with new ones isn't a good idea of the originals
are still working OK.    If it comes down to requiring a lifter
replacement... I'd look first into trying to repair the one that's
being a problem... IF its face is OK and the failure isn't because of
wear on the face.   Clean it, then reuse it if at all possible.   The
2nd choice if need be is to replace it with a new lifter and observe
the break-in procedure.   Don't forget to grease it up well with the
right lube.

Putting a used lifter onto a used cam that the lifter has never seen
before is bad form.

I *have*, in a pinch, refaced an occasional good-used lifter and
"prepped" the surface of the face, put them on used cams and never
had one fail...  but it *requires* refacing, which turns the lifter
into something similar to a new one.

If a lifter fails, and requires replacement, use a new lifter and
observe break-in procedures.   Don't take a chance with a mismatched
lifter, too easy to ruin the camshaft.

tony..