<VV> Oversteer

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Dec 9 15:57:05 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/8/2007 5:13:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kenpepke at juno.com writes:

I am not  sure why but most drivers are most comfortable in a car that
under-steers.  The closer to neutral the car becomes the more  uncomfortable the
driver will become.  Hardly anyone this side of an  experienced race car driver
will be comfortable with even a neutral car.   The point is most will feel a
car is over-steering long before it gets to even  a neutral feeling.  I don't
think anyone would want a car with a high  degree of over-steering in the 'set
up.'

Ken - Good writing. Indeed Oversteer is something to be provoked on demand  -
or not. Or tamed if arisen. But certainly not something that a "racer"  would
desire to be present at all times. However - The "Drifting"  phenomenon
requires it. (I think of drifting in the same league as figure  skating.) You
noting the "uncomfortable feeling" of oversteer reminds me of teh  best definition
of oversteer and understeer. Oversteer is when the passenger is  scared,
understeer is when the driver is scared. (As in - "will this car ever  turn?")
Personally, I prefer a car with slight understeer, transitioning  to Neutral near
the limit. As long as you have the power and tires to push to,  and past
<grin>, that limit, it will be a fun drive!  - Seth  Emerson