<VV> [FC] Corvair Research

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu May 1 11:18:06 EDT 2008

There is a whole  field of engineering study now dedicated to "human
factors". A product may be safe and effective but if it differs in human
interaction that other similar products (or the "intuitive" way of
operating it would cause the product to malfunction), it is considered
to be of flawed design. In the world of medical equipment design, this
factor has recently been given HUGE weight by the FDA when approving new
devices.

One of the first places we saw this theory applied in the automotive
world was the Audi "unintended acceleration" issue... while the Audi,
like the Corvair, was found to be of a safe and effective design, the
pedal placement differed significantly from the average American car.
(It did not differ significantly from say BMW or Mercedes, but Audi was
the victim of its own success... the 5000 enjoyed a MUCH greater direct
crossover of owners directly from American marques like Buick..So the
average Audi owner was more likely to have that as their first European
car (particularly with an automatic gearbox) than any of the other
marques). This was seen as an "engineering flaw" for Audi when "human
factors" were considered. The gas pedal interlock was a fix for the
"human factor", not for the car.

You can readily see a parallel to the Audi story with the Corvair.
First, the average owner was coming directly from an American car
(unlike say Mercedes or Porsche) where terminal oversteer was the
primary handling characteristic rather than the incessant understeer of
American car. It was also the first American car with such a
differential between front and rear tire pressures... a difference not
intuitive to the average person (or the average filling station or garage).

So from those perspectives the Corvair indeed was of "flawed" design....
it might be interesting to apply these modern engineering evaluation
standards to the Corvair design rather than trying to make the
conventional case that the design itself was flawed from a "pure"
engineering perspective... might help the grade with a
politically-correct professor as well...

Of course the lower insurance losses for the Corvair of the period
versus its peers could also be shown as proof that the overall design of
the Corvair was superior enough to more than overcome what could be seen
as human factor design flaws....

Bill