<VV> early 4 speed transmission

Kerry Born grandpacorvair at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 08:24:16 EDT 2008

Hi again,

My second question:

Since replacing the clutch, pressure plate, throw out
bearing and pilot
bearing last summer I have had a problem with
shifting. It is
intermittently hard to get into 1st, 2nd and third.
Sometimes 4th. Down
shifting is almost always ok. Symptoms include either
hard shifting or a
slight to moderate grinding when changing gears. If I
do an extended
pause at neutral it usually will shift ok. It always
will shift into
reverse with no issues.When it won't go into gear.
double clutching (is
that what it's called?) will allow the shift.  I have
double (and
triple) checked the clutch adjustment, suspecting the
clutch not
releasing. The input shaft did not seem to be binding
in the pilot
bearing. One last thing, if I am not real careful
getting it into third
it may pop out of gear. is there a shift linkage
adjustment that I
should address or do I have a problem in the
transmission. I am thinking
that unwanted metal shavings from 40 years of usage
may have gotten
stirred up when the power train was removed (twice)
last year and gotten
into things I might wish they had not...

Kerry