<VV> White Gas - no vair

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun May 4 00:50:48 EDT 2008

This little note from Frank Schmidt, Senior Project Engineer,
Appliances-Fuels-Patio Grills, The Coleman Co. should be an
authoritative description of the differences between Coleman fuel and
"white gas".

http://fuel.papo-art.com/#Notes_on_Coleman_Fuel

I can recall going down to the gas station and getting a clear glass
gallon jug filled with "white gas" from a barrel pump in the back room
for our lawnmower in the mid 1950's -- believe Dad used this same fuel
for our old outboard motor when we went camping at the lake and rented a
boat, but he had a special metal marine gas can for that. Also used it
in the Coleman lantern and stove, but he had a special filter funnel to
pour it through into the gas appliances.

As a sidelight, it is interesting to note the differences in these
MSDS's, both on Colemans's website:
   http://www.coleman.com/coleman/msds/5103-232.pdf    revised 3/6/2006
   http://www.coleman.com/coleman/msds/lantern.pdf          revised: 6/19/07
Other internet references to the MSDS for Coleman fuel provide other
information, but lack authoritative reference.
Note where it says, "Skin Effects: May cause irritation or dermatitis
with prolonged and repeated contact."

There are any number of discussions on this topic, such as the websites
referenced, and on various lists & forums for the outdoor camping
enthusiast.

Yes, it is a rainy day here in northwest Oregon --

Bill Strickland