<VV> 1966 standard black belts in turquoise colored

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Mon May 5 16:03:34 EDT 2008

Sit is known that tandard belts were offered in limited colors while deluxe
belts were offered in a wide variety of colors.  These facts are in the
"Finger Tip Facts" book that the dealer used when ordering cars.  I have
only the '68 FF book but this is clearly delineated in interior trim / belt
color tables. By '68, Corvair interior colors were limited to three choices
and so you got matching colors with either belt style.  The '68 Camaro (the
closest thing in my book in terms of model position that still offered a
wide variety of interior colors) shows that purchasers of cars with mere
"standard" belts got black belts with an interior choice of black (of
course), red, turquoise, Black/Parchment, and Black/white. If the buyer
stepped up to deluxe belts, red got red and turquoise got turquoise.

If someone with a '66 Fingertip Facts book would take a look at the "Color
and Trim Selections" page, the Corvair applications can be easily verified.
If their book is like my '68 book, early pages and later (revised) pages
will be present with the early pages crossed out. Comparing the two will
reveal running changes in color applications.

Substitution of black for bronze if the supply of bronze was low is an
example of the common practice of the day. One of my LA club members, the
late Red Jones, did exactly that as a job at the GM Southgate (LA) plant.
His job was to select suitable substitutes when supplies of a given part ran
low.  Euphemistically, his title was "Quality Engineer"

So, does anyone on the list have a "Finger Tip Facts" book for '66?  If not,
any interested party can contact club historian Dave Newell and I'm sure he
will be happy to provide the appropriate pages and settle the issue.
Craig Nicol

Checked by AVG.
6:01 AM