<VV> Carb Rebuilding (added...Fuel Efficiency)

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sun May 18 10:43:38 EDT 2008

"...The lower the float level, the leaner the high speed mix. Do not  apply
pressure to the needle in the seat when doing this  adjustment..."

Actually, checking using wide-band instruments, I've found float  level comes
into play a lot earlier: from just off idle transition, and  throughout the
mid-range. Nearing WOT, I'm sure the fuel level pays a part, but  with fuel
enrichment circuit equipped carbs, once enrichment kicks in, it's a  little more
difficult to separate out what can be attributed to float  level, and what is
enrichment. By tweaking (lowering) the float levels,  I've been able to
maintain (at around town & cruse speeds), between 14  to 15 A-F ratio. The car I've
done this with is a 110 with PG and dual  exhausts. I've installed in-cockpit,
dual wide band digital instruments (by  Innovate), so I can see what is
happening under all conditions,  side-to-side. Before float tweaking, even after
reducing jet sizes to  under OEM speck, I could never get the system to run
leaner than about  13.5. This speaks to the fact that jet size is most influential
under WOT  conditions. Another thing I'm trying, to lean things up a bit, is
to make  the enrichment needles a little heaver: I've filled the depression in
the tops  of the needles 1/2 way with soft solder. OBTW: this and all my
other  Corvairs are Safeguard-equipped. If you do not have a Safeguard, or Clark's
 knock sensing device, be extremely careful in your leaning attempts.

Mike Mauro

favorites at AOL Food.