<VV> Oil Warmer

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun May 18 22:24:09 EDT 2008

For water cooled cars you can get a 120 volt block  heater installed in place
of one of the "freeze" plugs.  It's used to  raise the temp of the engine
about 50 deg.F. above ambient.  I ordered one  from the GM factory (at a cost of
$19) when I ordered my 1995 Pontiac  TransSport.  During the winter I plug it
into a timer so it starts warming  up the engine about 4 hours before I want
to drive the car.  Works great in  the cold NJ winter.  Not only enables the
car to start instantly, but also  gets the heating/defrosting system working
much sooner to help defrost the ice  on the windshield.  GM has (or had) them
available from the factory on many  of their cars.
    Obviously, the Corvair can't use such "block  heaters" so what you
describe is the equivalent that heats the engine oil  instead of liquid coolant.
But the purpose is the same.  Seems like a  good idea to me.
    Frank "starts better when warm" Burkhard

In a message dated 5/18/2008 9:41:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,