<VV> Can It Really Be That Simple

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Mon May 19 20:51:33 EDT 2008

An island neighbor just bought her first classic car, a '63 Monza
convertible PG, 53,000 miles, power top, new red interior, door guards,
AM pushbutton radio, dealer installed emergency brake light - the works!

Of course, as a car that basically sat for years, the new fan belt
slipped off within the first two days of driving and I got the "help!"
call. My reward was a 10 mile round the island drive of the car, top
down. It drove quite well, although I heard more clatter than I expected
[perhaps more sitting too long issues] and less power than I expected [I
have a '66 110/4 speed].

The only concern was the braking system. Pressing the pedal slowed the
car, but if you held your foot on it, the pedal would slowly sink
towards the floor. After the drive, there was no fluid loss in the
cylinder, and the brakes never grabbed to one side, so I'm assuming
there's an internal leak in the master cylinder.

Does this make sense? Any other possibilities?

If it is the master cylinder, replacing it looks like a cinch - two nuts
hold it to the firewall and the brake line screws into the side near the
bottom. Is it really that easy to replace? What's the best way to bench
bleed it?

Thanks,

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863