<VV> Can It Really Be That Simple

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon May 19 22:02:28 EDT 2008

Yes, it is that easy. Bench bleed by screwing a hose into the outlet
port and putting the other end into the reservoir. Some master cyliner
replacements come with the hose and plastic adapter. Of course these
single cylinders are easy to rebuild with a kit also. Unless the bore is
really pitted. You won't know until you take it apart and hone it out.
You can also cut a section of brake line long enough to screw into the
cylinder outlet and bend it into the reservoir. Keep the reservoir
filled and stroke it with both a series of short and deep strokes until
no bubbles come out of the hose (tube). Place it back on the car gently
(with the hose still in place so fluid does not leak out), remove the
hose and quickly screw the brake line into the outlet. Crack the line
nut while someone pushes gently on the brake pedal (catching most of the
fluid in a rag and cleaning up any spills right away-eats paint),
tighten the line nut while the foot is still on the pedal and that
should be all for bleeding the brakes.

Of course, now is the time to flush the system anyway, as it probably
has been years since the fluid was changed, so go through a normal bleed
procedure to flush the system. Dot 3 needs to be changed every few years
due to moisture absorbtion.

And (boy, this is never ending) do a "Hard harder" test of the brake
system to make sure there are no steel lines ready to fail.
Step on the brake pedal and then step harder, using the steering wheel
for leverage if necessary. This sounds destructive, but if the system is
sound, nothing will happen. Don't be surprised if a line or more blows
out due to rust. This is a normal tech inspection for a Corvair
autocross. Much easire to replce a line in the driveway than after the
thrilling ride though a red light or decending a hill.

Make sure the timing is correct to get the most power out of the engine.
And all those other tune up things also, just check timing first-easy.

Frank DuVal