<VV> engine temp crossing the desert

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed May 21 13:18:51 EDT 2008

Ambient temps don't affect an aircooled vehicle in the same way they do
a waterpumper (the temps at which the heat exchange works in a radiator
is much closer to the ambient temps). My wife went though 113 degrees
ambient in her lap of the US last year.

This was in a fully laden VW Westfalia (heavier than an empty Ramp) with
a 110/PG/3.55 drivetrain. The heads were carefully deflashed and we ran
an external PG cooler (which a FC already has) and she never saw head
temps over 300 (measured at the sparkplug... that would be 380-390 at
the stock thermistor location) except on long grades if she let it lug
in high.

Really very little different than at 80 degrees ambient (acknowledging
that the thermocouples will read slightly lower in warmer ambient
temps). Shifting into Low (around 55mph)  immediately cooled the heads
back down to the 275-280 range. Stock lower shrouds, stock 12 plate
cooler, stock oil pan and valve covers.

Bill