<VV> sway bar decision & detailed spec

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Fri May 30 16:15:24 EDT 2008

Just black electrical tape, the orange has less structural value and the
red requires way too much torque.

The size of the bolt holding the sway bar in is 5/16-18. IIRC, the length
is about 1 1/4". I think 1" will work if the pieces can be held in place
with Channel Locks, Vise Grips or other pliers while inserting the bolts.

Here is a table for torque values based on the size of the bolt:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428/Bolt.html

There are many others with a Google search.

Frank DuVal

So use buggy cords and electrical tape.... lol, just kidding.

OK, OK great discussion everyone, thank you.

So to follow the KISS principle, I have two choices, one, grade 5 on all
six bolts and shop manual specified torque; or two, grade eight, and a
revised torque value. If the latter choice, do I torque by a percentage
value or is there something else to follow, say like, someone else's
experience?

Last, could I needle some more info out of you all, like size and thread of
the bolts needed since I have no reference materia? (I really want to get
the assembly manual soon)...

chris

the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org