<VV> Vehicle quality real and perceived

Kenneth E Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Nov 10 07:04:07 EST 2008

Perception of quality is a most interesting phenomenon.  I know
there are those on this site that do not believe American car
companies do anything more than use what is available.  They
are wrong.  As far back as the 'teens and 20s GM tested cars
for handling and accident safety.  Rollover safety was checked
by hand pushing a car over a cliff and watching it roll.  By the
time the Corvair was introduced the tests had become quite
sophisticated.  They are even more so today.

There may not be any Corvair owners that have not been told
by someone looking at their car that Mr. Nader exposed the
Corvair as a dangerous vehicle.  Why do they believe that?
These self styled experts have no idea that the car was
exonerated of all charges.  Why not?

Actually there is no mystery.  They 'learned' from advertising
and the media.

Point one:  My friend of almost 50 years and former race car
partner owns a junkyard.  He deals in old, used up junk cars
rather than late model wrecks.  The State of Michigan requires
ALL junk dealers to record and report every car scrapped.
They require a mileage statement for every car.  After scrapping
thousands and thousands and thousands of cars a pattern
becomes evident; Japanese cars, regardless of the make or
model become 'used up' almost three years and 30,000 miles
sooner than their American counterparts.  The average Ford,
Chevy [including Corvair] or Chrysler, most of which receive
little or no preventative maintenance will outlast any Japanese
car ... regardless of cost.  The exceptions are few.  Lincolns
and Buicks tend to outlive their usefulness to their owners.
The first to die were the Mazda rotarys ... at less than 15,000
miles.  They would still run but had to be pushed around
and around the block till they warmed up enough to run on
their own.

Point two:  I worked for more than 42 years for Fisher Body /
GM in the engineering department.  My work and my interest
frequently took me to the area which tests vehicles ... for a
myriad of points.   GM employs accurate and sophisticated
instruments to check body fit.  They test all GM products and
compare them with ALL domestic and foreign built cars.  They
also have the ability to check finish.  YEAR for YEAR the 'fabled'
Japanese fit and finish ALWAYS falls short of the average Chevy,
Ford or Chrysler.  Top fit and finish the world has to offer comes
from BMW ... head and shoulders above the rest.

Simple test:  Place your index finger so it bridges the gap
between adjacent panels [hood & fender / door & quarter etc]
and draw it along the gap.  Your finger will 'see' what is a good
fit and what is not :-)
Ken P

(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212792382x1200798498/aol?redir=
http://searchblog.aol.com/2008/11/04/happy-holidays-from