<VV> EM/van lower ducts '61

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Nov 14 11:35:38 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/14/2008 8:31:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Mikeamauro at aol.com writes:

Has  anyone else noticed  the propensity--on any 61-69 Corvair--for
the  right hand damper door to trail in  opening to the left side? I suspect
it
may have something to do with unequal air  flow.

Mike  Mauro

Mike,  I've come to believe that once the cooling air has left the top
plenum and starts over the right and left heads our cars have two cooling
"systems" because one side has the longer manifold "log" and each side will have
blockages (that shop rag that disappeared), leaks, leaner running cylinders,  etc.
that make its cooling needs different from the other side.  In  addition the
left side has the leakage around the air recirculation hole and the  higher
cooling needs of the oil cooler.  (On my Greenbrier there is more  air leakage
around the oil filler tube).  When I purchased my first Corvair  I would wonder
what was wrong when the two damper doors opened at different  times--now I
don't worry about it unless they both haven't opened after a run in  hot
weather.  On winter days, with the heater blower on high, they  frequently don't open
at all in around town driving.

Bob Hall