<VV> [SCG] Cylinder head drawings

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 17 17:14:34 EST 2008

Actually, no. Having worked for GM for 30 years, I can attest to the fact
that they DO indeed change part numbers on items for any given reason, and
occasionally for no reason whatsoever. Often part numbers are changed
because they changed a hole, a trim line, or anything that might make the
part physically different, though not necessarily not interchangable with
the former part. They would also change the part number if they changed
material suppliers, even if the raw material composition was identical.

Then there are the random part number changes. One time while working the
line, the forman came over to me and asked me to change the part number in
the die at break time. (The partial part number is stamped on the part
during its stamping, via a number striker in one of the dies.) So I changed
the part number at break. We made no other changes to the part, but sent
the "old" part number parts out in one shipment and the "new" part number
parts out in succeeding shipments.

My dad also worked at a dealership, and on at least one occasion was sent a
notice with a new shipment that he needed to "mix with part # so-and-so and
sell as part # such-and-such". Go figure.

BTW, they would also occasionally make changes to the part and NOT change
part numbers.

-Mark

Two
> in particular are 1965 95 hp heads, #3856743 and #3883862.
>
> I have reviewed these two drawings and have not been able to identify any

> differences between them. Has anyone else been reviewing these drawings?
Have
> you discovered any differences between these two heads?  Bob Kirkman's
Tech