<VV> Tires

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Oct 1 10:11:58 EDT 2008

I replied offline with some more specific advice, but since I go through
a lot of tires I thought I'd make some general brand comments.

First, the "no name Asian tires" have widely varying quality. I have a
set that I bought through a Corvair vendor that have been very good
(though didn't quite seem to handle as well as the speed rating would
suggest... but for the money I was extremely satisfied), but I've also
purchased similar tires that did not perform as well as the least
expensive alternatives. So I would be wary when buying these (most
common on Ebay).

Next, Hankooks seem to be very good tires, at least equivalent to the
"lower end" alternatives such as Cooper, General, etc (similar to where
Yokohoma and Sumitomo were a few years ago.. now I generally rate those
brands ahead.)  I would not hesitate using them as an alternative to
those tires. They appear to be moving forward quickly in performance...
I recently ran a set of Hankook performance snows on my former M3 and
they were awesome even compared to some of the best in class.

I consider Kumho a step beyond the Hankooks and now every bit the equal
of Yokohoma and Sumitomo and lagging behind the high end premium tires
only in ride quality/noise, not actual performance. Given their price
point (and the fact that I care little about ride quality/noise) I
routinely buy these for everything from my father-in-law's CRV to my '67
Mercedes 250SE...

Finally, if anyone is interested, I have a set of "no name" Asian tires
that I bought for the Mercedes that I decided not to use on it. Unusual
size 215/65HR14 but a good substitute for a 205/70-14 or a 225/60-14. A
little large for a Corvair car (IMO) and based on my experience with
this model I would not consider it a "performance" tire despite the H
rating. Decent highway tire though. Appears to be an all season tread
pattern.  Never mounted, but about 3 years old.  I'll take $80 +
shipping (or can deliver for free to Fall Carlisle tomorrow or Friday
or Hershey next Friday) for the set of 4.

Bill
Frederick, MD