<VV> 100 Octane Fuel

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Sun Oct 19 19:46:31 EDT 2008

> I used such a small mix because (a) I think that's all that's
> necessary with my essentially stock engines, and (b), like Dave's
> fuel, it was over 7 bucks a gallon.  I have a Corvair cheapskate
> reputation to protect!
> --Bob

In my former life as mgr of Analytical Labs at U of Mi, I run a well
known octane improver on the GC-mass spec and found out it was just
technical grade toluene.
In a number of SAE papers I have on fuels, the presence of methyl or CH3-
groups in a molecule makes it a potential octane improver.
Toluene is a benzene ring with a methyl group and thus is usefull.
MTBE which used to be used until banned has multiple metyl groups.
Acetone has 2 in a small molecule and thus hi % .

I have had good luck with both toluene ( tech grade at big paint stores in
5 gal pails). I have read reports that acetone works well too.
I would start with 8-16 oz per tank and see how it works.
As always, your results may vary.

regards,

frank