<VV> 100 Octane Fuel

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Mon Oct 20 06:14:13 EDT 2008

In my former life as mgr of Analytical Labs at U of Mi, I run a well
known octane improver on the GC-mass spec and found out it was just
technical grade toluene.

Based on a similar GC analysis (as in an attempt at reverse engineering!) of
Sunoco Racing Fuel....old "Cam-2" Sunoco had a fair amount of toluene, and
some MBTE in it, as well as one hell of a lot of lead (about 4 mg/l).  I
"cooked up" a brew using old "high-lead" green Av-Gas (look for an airport
with a couple of DC-3's standing around!), high-test unleaded, and Moroso
fuel additive for our 15-1 CR Nissan engines.

BTW, lots of toluene in old alkyd enamel reducer!

John