<VV> Rube Goldberg supercharger?

Todd Heimer todd_heimer at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 15:36:15 EDT 2008

This came to me in a dream, so my apologies if it's been discussed before, but here goes...

My '64 is missing the ~ 4" diameter duct tubing that brings cool air from the top side of the engine into the passenger compartment.   With the engine idling, this outlet pumps large volumes of cool air at some modest pressure (1-3 psi?).  As it's driven by the cooling fan, the pressure and volume should increase substantially with RPM.

Has anyone tried to route this pressurized cool air to the carbs, to make a mild supercharger?  Sounds relatively simple and cheap, cheap, cheap.  The pressure would be less than that provided by a roots type blower, but the volume should be plenty.

I can't stop thinking about it, so somebody please talk me out of trying it.  What am I missing, besides the problem of incorporating an air filter in front of the cooling fan?

Todd
'64 'vert
Assonet MA