<VV> Corvair Seat (safety) Belt Length

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 6 01:36:06 EDT 2008

Hello Carl,

I'll measure mine when I get the chance.  The car (65) is not here just now.

I CAN tell you this much though.  For the fronts, the outboard belt is much
shorter and probably only rolls about 3 turns (maybe less?) on the
retractor.  This is the piece with the male portion of the buckle.  The
inboard "half" (with the female portion of the buckle) is considerably
longer.  The front belts (long portion) are designed with the intention that
the one mounted behind the passenger seat is intended for the driver and the
one mounted behind the driver seat is intended for the passenger.  Most
folks don't realize this.  I'm assuming that you have bucket seats.  So,
when two people are riding in the front, the long portions of the belt
actually cross over one another between the seats.  Why?  Don't know, but
can guess that this would put less strain on the belt in an accident.

For the rears, I don't know original length - BUT - I don't think it will
matter.  You should be able to set them up so that any excess length would
hang out beyond the mounting point in the floor under the seat - where it
will not be seen.  So, you can likely use the same length belts in the rear
as in the front.  If you are installing 3 belts in the rear - I THINK (not
sure) that the center belt would share one of the mounting points with each
of the other 2 belts.  Arrangement of the buckles is a little fuzzy just
now.  Once I see my car again, I can tell you how it is set up.  BUT, my
rear belts did not come from Chevy so far as I know.

Later, JR

CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140