<VV> Wiring harness replacement

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Sun Sep 7 12:39:19 EDT 2008

snip

> I've never done this but wonder, what is so hard about replacing the  main
> harness?
>
> Bruce

Bruce, if you do not remove the rear cross member which supports the drive
train, the harness connectors do not fit through the gaps in the body. As a
result, it is necessary to remove the plastic connectors and tape them up to
avoid damage to them [and take pictures/document the wiring order!!!] and
thread them through the suspension like eying a needle. I have had some
success taping the new harness to the old harness to "pull it through" but
still, it is nasty, on your back, crawling along under the car work not
suited for most people. The harness is retained by clips along the
"firewall" of the car that also retain the brake lines and may break if not
handled carefully. The harness has to be carefully installed in the three
clips, one of which is directly above the brake junction tee bolted to the
frame. Of course, if you have the drive train and rear crossmember removed,
it is fairly easy but still not for novices - i.e., how many of us remove
drive trains from cars? [and maybe successfully put them back in?]. Then
it's on toward the front of the car...
Crawford