<VV> 1966 4-Speed to a 1965 Differential - what happens when you don't correct the gasket ..

Charles Lee chaz at ProperProPer.com
Sat Sep 13 21:22:05 EDT 2008

Yes, it would have been nice if my mechanic had known about that simple
little trick !
Such a simple answer, and the results might not be so simple if you
don't do it !

My mechanic did not relaize that there is a different oil flow hole
pattern, and caused my pinion gear to actually melt (the teeth got
smooshed into the grooves) before the transaxle actually split from the
pressure.

The roller bearings looked like chewing gum, and the teeth on the pinion
gear were completely melted and "tuliped" !

It bolts right up, but the gasket can cause disaster !

This happened when I was traveling at about 70 MPH and as the tach went
to 0, and my Corsa convert (with 4 pasengers) came to a complete,
screeching halt in the middle of the Long Island Expresway, and had to
be towed off.

I wish I had kept the parts, but that was a while ago (don't ask how
many)

Charlie