<VV> where's YOUR Fanbelt Toss this Year EXPERIENCE

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Sep 17 09:05:04 EDT 2008

I think the size of the club makes a difference too - our club
(Northern Virginia Corvairs) has always been a pretty small, "hands
on" club.  Although things have gone up and down over the years,
we've had most all of our meetings at members' homes with a tech
project as the "main event".  A couple times a year we do something
different, like a picnic or tour.  Every four years for the past 16,
we have been hosts for the Virginia Vair Fair.

What I've found is that different meetings pull in different members
- some folks we only see at the more social events (especially
spouses), but a few just aren't interested if they don't get dirty.
Others prefer the drive.  We try and have a mix so we get as many as
possible over the course of a year.  I think as a percentage of the
membership we do pretty well - more than half our members show up to
*something* each year.  To give you real numbers, we have 29 members,
and generally get 6 to 12 at meetings.  Of course who exactly comes
depends also on where the meeting is, but since it isn't a fixed
location there's never a difference in that regard.

One thing I think pulls in the younger folks nowadays to our club is
our tech focus - they can't afford a shop anyway, so having some
experienced folks for advice and help makes a big difference in terms
of getting their confidence up to work on the car.

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa