<VV> SL oil again

Dennis Dorogi dfamily at fairpoint.net
Wed Sep 17 09:43:09 EDT 2008

A few weeks ago I wrote that I found some Quaker State 10W-40 in the local Autozone that was marked API SL.  I bought all they had on the shelve.  I went back yesterday and they had restocked with the same SL oil.  They had lots of it.  I just assumed it was old stock but now I am not sure.   Could this be new oil that is being targeted for older cars?  They only had 10W-40.
     Even more interesting (to me) is that I went to the local John Deere dealer to get some oil & filters for my garden tractor.  I picked out some 10W-30 and noticed it was also marked SL.  This was specifically John Deere Turf-Gard 4 cycle motor oil, SAE 10W-30, API Service SL.  So my liquid cooled tractor can share the same oil as my air-cooled corvairs.
      The SL oil is out there - but you have to hunt for it!.       Dennis Dorogi