<VV> Tip Top Tech Topics

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Sep 22 00:56:51 EDT 2008

When I was installing the engine in my current Corvair, just before the
Ventura Convention, I had a friend come by to help. I have dropped out many a
motor over the years, and installed some too. (Not as many as I have removed,
but let's not get into that.) With the correct equipment, removal and
installation can be a safe and rapid activity. But when you are doing either, a  helper
makes it easier, and usually safer. (It is hard to believe, my wife has
actually helped me do this.) When doing either by yourself, the  event can be made
safer by using the correct tools. Last summer's accident  back east, where a
Corsa member, a friend of mine, was killed by accident  sobered me up to some
of the dangers involved in these tasks. At Ventura,  feeling a little flush
after selling a few items, I decided to follow up and  purchase one of the
EZCarlifts. I watched the demo unit lift a greenbrier  up and down several times at
the vendor area. When I got home from Ventura,  I assembled my new unit,
backed in the "Stinger", slid the lift under and  cranked it up. It remains there
today. This afternoon, I used an ATV  lift correctly placed under the
motor/Transaxle. I raised it up  to the powertrain (in the car), disconnected the few
remaining items, and safely  lowered the powertrain out. All the way down, and
then I found the vent  tubes on the Rochesters were about one inch too high
to roll the motor out the  back. Hmm. I grabbed the powerdrill and the
extension cord, and cranked the lift  up another inch and a half, then rolled the
powertrain out. At no time was any  part suspended from below on less than four
points. Pretty safe, if I do  say so. And it was so easy. I occasionally
fantasize about a three-car garage  with the high bays and the the four post lifts,
etc. But that ain't gonna  happen, at least not here in Northern California,
unless I hit the lottery - and  I don't play it. The newer light weight, even
mobile electric hoists, both  4-post and 2-post (side type) also appeal, but
because of the side-driveway  visability of my house, those big lifts would fail
the spouse-approval test. So  the EZCarlift was an option that met my "needs"
(everything is relative). The  reinstallation of the powertrain will be it's
next test - real soon  now.  So, be safe in your work, and you, too can grow
old and still have  fun! - Seth  Emerson