<VV> 1965 GM manual (page 6Y-19,Fig 8i) ...

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 22 04:26:43 EDT 2008

>Is this diagram correct ?

The diagram (8i) in my 65 manual appears to be "correct".  It is also an
exact match for Fig. 8-61 in the 1961 Shop Manual.  It looks to me like
your coloration of the diagram on the scanned image misinterprets the
Manual's diagram, although I could see how that might happen, the
diagram not being really clear about the routing of the #3 wire.

The firing order, and that is really the only important thing here, imo,
is 1-4-5-2-3-6. You will also find it stamped on the fan shroud under
the plug wires near the standard dipstick tube location.  You'll have to
custom grind your own camshaft to change it and have the engine run
properly.

The classically "correct" distributor orientation is with  #1 at 6
o'clock, to the rear of the car with #1 and #2 lined up axially with the
engine -- this puts the dist cap screws at about the 5 and 11 o'clock
positions, and the advance can near the coil.

The Forward arrow in fig 8i in the Shop Manual "correctly" points to the
front of the car.  The arrow in the .jpg appears to be "incorrect".

However, it is also my opinion that unless you are trying for 100 points
at Pebble Beach or such, it doesn't make any difference how you wire the
cap if the wires will reach.  Regardless of distributor orientation,
there is a point where when the points break contact near TDC, the rotor
will point near enough to a dist cap terminal that you can put your #1
wire in there and follow clockwise with 4, 5, 2, 3, and 6 and it will
run.  Some will call me heretical, but so be it -- such is the mechanics
of the motor, and thus the quotes previously for "correct" and "incorrect".

Drive On!

Bill Strickland