<VV> Where oh where is the CPF FI Corvair engine?

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jan 7 19:55:36 EST 2009

Since we have opened the door to discuss the Corvair
mechanical fuel injection system I thought I'd chime in.
Many, many years ago the Detroit chapter (DACC) built up a
dummy engine with the Rochester FI parts installed. It was
not operational. But it looked neat. Ken Pepke made up a
special engine display stand (he made two of them, I still
have one) so we could display the FI engine at the Sloan
Museum in Flint, Michigan. This was around 1984 and Stu
Shuster was the spark plug that made the display of
Corvairs and Corvair memorabilia come to life. I think he
called the event "Corvair Mania". After the display the
engine and parts were packed up and I am not sure just
where they are today. Probably Pete Cimbala could shed
some light on the subject as he has most of the CPF stuff
still taking up space in his garage and out buildings and
basement in Swartz Creek, Michigan. I know that back in
the 1983-84 time frame I was involved in handling the FI
parts. There were bits and pieces from two systems, but
not enough parts to make one complete system. We made up
some new "ram tubes" to fit on top of the injector units.
It did look trick - but I'm not sure if it was 100%
accurate. Photographs were all we had to go on.

CPF also has some other neat and rare Corvair engines. The
modular engine is at Clark Hartzel's home in Fraser,
Michigan and he is actively working on putting it together
as much as possible to make an interesting display. I
think Dave Newell has a more complete version of this
engine in his collection.

CPF also has a military engine from a Canadair vehicle.
This engine was donated to CPF by Cal and Joan Clark of
Clark's Corviar Parts. The Buffalo, NY club is working on
putting this engine together as a display piece and we are
hoping to place it in a museum in Buffalo when they are
done.

These are examples of positive things being done by some
local chapters and some special volunteers to keep the
Corvair memory alive. In a word they are "preserving" the
Corvair story. Hats off to all of them! - Pete K