<VV> Fly Wheels - Corvair

Kenneth E Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Jan 21 06:07:43 EST 2009

Interesting observation ... easy to check on a Corvair.  Keep
a paint marker bottle / pen handy and each time you shut your
engine off put a dot on the damper pulley at the timing mark.
      Because our engines are four stroke cycle the crank turns
twice to fire all six cylinders.  One would expect groups of dots
to collect in three areas placed equally around the damper and
relative to the stroke of the last cylinder that sees compression
as the as the engine comes to a stop.
      Having a collection of dots almost all in one area or spread
out all over might lead one to believe there is an internal problem
with the engine.
Ken P

> In a message dated 1/19/2009 9:47:10 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> ricebugg at mtco.com writes:
>
> All:  My other son-in-law, who is not a car guy, had a started die
> on him
> over the course of a few months.  It was in a S-10 with the I-4  and
> auto.
> Never said a word to anybody about it.
>
> He replaced the  started, and it worked three times.  Then it would
> not
> engage.   He was able to turn motor over some once with a wrench on
> the front
> pulley,  got it going, but the started would not engage next time.
> He said
> the  teeth looked bad when he replaced the starter.
>
> Finally took it to a  AMMCO shop and had the flywheel/ring gear
> replaced.  He
> said looking  at the old part, there were three spots with worn
> teeth, and
> the rest were  fine.
>
> Which caused me to conclude that engines, at least the S-10's  I-4,
> always
> stops in one of three positions each time.
>
> Anybody else  observe the same thing on other engines?  Or is this a
> 4
> cylinder  thing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Historically Yours,