<VV> Best engine oil for late models

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 08:12:05 EST 2009

In the days of leaded fuel, nearly all the deposits were due to lead
content in the fuel.

I've used nearly every oil out there in Corvair engines, and the only
issues I've had (besides cooking the crap out of it!) were those tan
and brown deposits on the back sides of the pistons and under the valve
covers. Not sludge, but a hard to remove film. This was with racing
oil, conventional oils, straight weight, multiweight, didn't matter.
The only type of oil which showed a significant decrease in this stuff
was Mobil 1, to no big surprise. But even that stuff would leave
something behind, just not as bad. Now, this was always in turbo
engines, all pushed pretty well beyond stock, so, my examples could be
considered worst case scenarios.