<VV> CORSA Dues Increase

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Wed Jan 28 14:15:39 EST 2009

My two cents:

We have to do the dues increase now, to stave off continued budget shortfalls for the next few years. This is a tactical necessity, not a strategic move. If it is all that CORSA does, the problem will come back around soon. In other words, the dues increase addresses the symptoms, not the root problem.

The root problem, of course, is declining membership. I have a few thoughts about this:

We need to both find ways to have CORSA exist as a leaner organization financially and to ensure a constant flow of new members.

Adopting a new paradigm for the Communique could potentially be the biggest way to decrease expenses. Bob Marlow has suggested going to an e-mag with a printed quarterly magazine. That's one very reasonable idea to explore. Other organizations I belong to have switched to online newsletter for no extra change and printed is extra cost (above dues price). That's another reasonable approach.

Just a few years ago, I would have said that an e-anything was not doable, since not even 50% of the CORSA membership was online (with a connection speed decent enough to get a multi-MB download). Technology changes fast and, if local chapter member connectivity is any guide, it's more like 75% now. The % is going to continue to go up, so it's a viable direction now.

I also like the suggestion to re-think the profit-sharing model for conventions. And a comprehensive review of the whole convention program is probably worthwhile. Why do we have them? Who attends? Should there be more frequent regionals and periodic nationals?

Regarding recruiting new members, it's a complicated picture. I believe that out largest source of new members are people who are not under 30, meaning that they have some connection to when the cars were in daily use on the road. we don't necessarily have to sell them that hard on why Corvairs are great because they already have some idea.

A large, relatively untapped, pool of new members are people under 30. I am convinced now that the only really effective way to recruit them is to mentor them. Sure, having a better online presence on our site can help, but that's later, after they have seen a Corvair in person and experienced driving and working on one. That's not going to happen unless existing members actively look for opportunities to do this in their communities, at a grass roots level.

This ties into my final point, which is CORSA will NOT thrive if the membership collectively expects the BoD and Mike & Harry to solve the problem. Ain't gonna happen folks. The problem is too big and the solution is distributed. I think CORSA can survive if we all outsource the problem to that small group, but it won't thrive.

--Kent