<VV> CORSA Dues Increase

Rod Murray rmurray at anaheimducks.com
Wed Jan 28 19:30:28 EST 2009

SNIP...
So according to Tim Mahler's post:
"...2004 saw a 500 profit
2005 the loss was just under $3,000
2006 the loss was over $16,000
2007 operating loss was around $10,000.
2008 deficit will be over $20,000..."

I haven't seen a breakdown of this figure yet, but thought it worth mentioning that the above-stated 2008 CORSA operating loss of $20K divided by our current roster of 4,700 is only $4.25 per member per year.  Even if we lost 700 members because of a dues increase, disinterest, or other reason, that's still only $5 per member per year for the remaining 4K - that's peanuts...while I'm not specifically endorsing a dues increase to cover this shortfall as there are any number of ways to raise the money - several already mentioned in this subject thread, a simple dues increase from $38 to say $50 (add $1/month) would not only theoretically eliminate immediate debt issues, it would do so w/o compromising any of CORSA's currently available benefits while also putting roughly $28K into the bank each year for TBD use.  To me, even at $50, the annual dues remains a bargain for the shear intangibles associated w being a part of this national club...

Of course this is all great for the short-term...i agree the bigger issues remain as to a) revisiting the performance of the CORSA business model, and b) engaging new enthusiasts... in this regard, here's a couple loose thoughts...

- I'm among those that cater to a unified local / national membership strategy...i do not consider this to be a "forced" format, but rather a simplified "1 annual dues payment gets both" process that ensures an "all-in" membership approach...all for one and one for all

- to reduce/maintain operating costs at both the local and national levels, make online versions of the local and national newsletters available for free via the respective websites...hard copies available to "opt-in" members at an additional cost - member's choice.  Perhaps also available to non-members at a higher subscription price.

- I don't believe in charging a paid club member for a club membership roster - unless the request is for a hard copy mailed...make a free online roster available to all members.

- the "shared revenue" philosophy need not be limited to the national convention only...in theory, local clubs could host 1 event per year for the sole purpose of generating funds to support CORSA with a minimum financial goal of at least $5 for each active member of their club - ie 25 club members x $5/ea = $125 goal.  that figure meets the $5 CORSA budget variance mentioned above.  Local club keeps everything else.

- CORSA needs a better recruiting effort at the grassroots (ie local club) level...one idea would be for local clubs to hold an annual "CORSA membership drive" type event (could be the "shared revenue" event above).  Even better, this effort could be nationally-coordinated by CORSA whereas these events are held on the same weekend across the country every year.  This strategy makes it easier to generate awareness, expectation, media coverage, etc.

- CORSA brand recognition is poor - if you don't believe me, ask anyone unfamiliar w Corvairs what it means...If you want to engage new enthusiasts, sell them on the Corvair first, and then on the club affiliations starting with "The Corvair Society of America".  Once hooked, the acronym "CORSA" becomes a comfortable club reference.  Fyi, we've also debated this w our own local club name Vintage Corsa - personally, I think something along the lines of "Orange County Corvair" is a much better self-explanatory brand.

This got way too long...sorry.

Rod
Vintage Corsa "Orange County's Corvair Club" (see, I have to explain who we are!)
Web & PR