<VV> Kentucky gets Electricity??

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sat Jan 31 11:00:48 EST 2009

It all depends on how well you are prepared for an emergency.  With two
inches of  ice on everything in the predominantly rural area, there is
no power.  I built all structures to carry a  80 lb/sqft load so the
house, shop, and barns all survived intact, even if there are a few
branches on the roofs.

TVA's major supply line, a 250,000 volt high line, lost two steel towers
and the nine, one inch power cables are in Kentucky Lake blocking barge
traffic.  We are hopping for power into the county by Sunday, power to
the substation by the fifth of Feb and power down the road by Valentines
day.  As we have two power poles down to the house, maybe we will be
lucky and have power to the house by March.  The National guard has the
major roads clear but it will take a month to clear all the county roads.

We have a stand by genset wired to power the house so water and
lights.  I did it a year after we bough the property.  House heat is by
a wood stove (95,000 btu). and the shop is propane heated.  The farmer
across the road has 500 gallons of gasoline which he sells at $1.50 a
gallon   The Rampside carried my 50 gallon fuel tank across the road
Monday night so we are set for this week   The phone and DSL to the
house is by buried fiber optic so it is always up.  The about 1/2 of the
cell towers are down or isolated so no cell service (thanks AT&T).  It
took hours with a chain saw and  tractor with front loader to clear the
1,000 driveway of limbs and trees.

How repaired are you for every store and gas station within 70 miles to
be closed for at least a week or more?  Major highways closed because of
downed power lines.  Local roads blocked from fallen trees.  No cell
service.  Low temps about 22 and highs of 32.

The good news as we are prepared are you?  After all we had a weeks
notice it was going to be bad but some don't listen.
Jim Davis