<VV> idle rattle in the 66' Corsa

Ray Rodriguez III ravensong13 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 20 02:37:19 EST 2009

Everything I've read so far says my problem is the flywheel, but I wanted to run some details by you guys before I start thinking about pulling this apart again.

I hesitate to think its the flywheel because I just had it out of the car (brand new clutch too) and inspected it... didnt find anything wrong.  Its a bolted flywheel and rang like a bell when I dropped it from an inch or so off the floor.... that was the test suggested in HTKYCA.

This noise started about 500 miles after I put the car back together. I hear it only at idle.  From inside the car it sounds like its coming from under the floor toward the front, from outside it is hard to track down but I think its probably coming from the drivetrain area... this noise transfers all over the place.  I dont really hear it outside the car unless I stick my head underneath... and then its near impossible to tell where its coming from.

Depressing the clutch halfway or more silences it (flywheel symptom I know), also.. here is what I thought was odd....   if I leave the clutch all the way out, but apply pressure to the shifter as if to shift into gear (but not enough to grind) the noise goes away.... stop putting pressure on the shifter and it comes back....  does that fit with the flywheel theory?

I thought maybe the clutch cable was rattling around, adjusted it to no avail.

Whatta'ya think?  Any other possibilities besides the flywheel?  Any tests I should do before I give in and pull the engine back out?

Ray Rodriguez III
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 hot rodded coupe