<VV> Sticking Throttle

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Thu Nov 26 19:43:20 EST 2009

I'm turning to the experts here for advice on a sticking accelerator
pedal problem.

A couple of months ago, I had to remove the throttle shaft that connects
the two carbs to the accelerator in order to rethread the #4 spark plug
hole. I installed it back and since then have experienced an increasing
problem with the accelerator not returning to its fully closed position.
It can stick almost all the way down, or it can stick only a short
distance open. It can be pulled back with my foot, or oddly, if I punch
it quickly with my foot, it will retract fully back on its own.

I've fiddled with the cross shaft and can't see a binding up there. The
throttle rod seems to attach as it did before, but it does appear to
turn or twist during the last short distance to fully closed. The
throttle return spring is relatively new and strong.

I've sprayed a LOT of PB Blaster and "rustbuster" products on the bottom
of the accelerator pedal bushing, and I can't see anything binding from
the carpet or jute beneath it. There doesn't seem to be dirt or junk
back there, either.

What should be my next steps?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving,

Jeff Aronson