<VV> Indexes

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 27 06:21:01 EST 2009

I really like indexes, and appreciate the effort expended to do good ones.

Now that I've been able to purchase my own copy of Bob's Classic
Corvair, I must say it is a very comprehensive drive train manual, sort
of like a tech guide written in a comprehensible order with some very
good information. I feel this book's only shortcoming is the lack of an
index, which is something that really puzzles me, as, with computers, it
is relatively easy to build up a rather good index.

Some of the most highly appreciated works in genealogy (family history)
are the indexes to the records, and those folks that have published
(pre-computer) separate indexes to various older but vital tomes that
were published without them or notably poor ones.

Sorta like how Google and others are the indices for the world wide
web.  Could you imagine trying to find stuff on the web by going through
domain names, which are sort of like the web's table of contents?  You
know, is it commercial (.com), organizational (.org), a network (.net),
educational (.edu), business (.biz) etc, and then guess at how they
spelled their name -- would Clackamas Community College be ccc.edu,
clakcomcol.edu, clackamas.edu, clackcc.edu, or maybe cougars.edu?  Well,
that is my take on a table of contents, fwiw.

I love things published in .pdf files on CD (and Google Books) because
of the ability to search them for what you want, but not all CD
publications are in that format.

mo,

Bill Strickland