<VV> Mechanical fuel pumps - leaks damage motor mounts ?

corvairs at pacifier.com corvairs at pacifier.com
Mon Aug 2 01:43:38 EDT 2010

JR - This brings up a point I have hammered away for some time. The simple
statement "the fuel pump failed" tells us nothing - including the "fact"
that it really was the fuel pump that failed in the first place.

I recently thought (last week) the fuel pump had failed on my 63 rampside.
(It hadn't been driven in nearly a year). Turns out it was a poor fitting
on the incoming line to the pump - no suction. I have run into this before
and i suspect many others have as well - but blamed it on the pump.

"Another" "failed pump" story for the internet to archive - making the
never ending debate never ending.

Lon Wall
www.corvairunderground.com
800-825-8247

> First of all, it was very likely the pump that was in the car when it left
> the factory.  Due to circumstances, the car sat outside - unused - and
> unlicensed - in Illinois weather for roughly 15 years.  Ran when parked.
>
> A group of us got together to help our friend solve his problem.
> Everything
> that you would need to do to make a car healthy enough to be driven safely
> was done - brakes, fuel tank, mouse house removal, you know the drill.
> When
> it got to the point of starting the engine, it would not fire and was
> determined to be lack of fuel to the carbs.
>
> The pump was removed and taken apart since there was no spare one on hand
> at
> the time.  There was a considerable amount of rust inside on the metal
> disks
> preventing the push rod from doing it's job.  Several sprays of WD40 and
> cleaning away of the rust (small wire brush) as well as messaging of the
> diaphragms and more WD40 to make them more pliable was done.  The pump was
> reassembled and the car was driven to and from the convention without a
> fuel
> related incident of any kind.
>
> Later, JR

>>> a